Nam Dinh is bounded by Thai Binh, Ha Nam provinces to the North and Northern West; by Ninh Binh province to the South, by the Chinese sea to the East.
Area : 1,650.8 km2.
Topographic features : Topographic features of Nam Định are mainly plain next to the sea. It is flat with rich silt of Red river, especially suitable for intensive paddy growing. Even brackish water can help provide high productivity.
Administrative units: Nam Dinh is divided into 1 city (Nam Dinh city) and 9 districts: Giao Thuy, Hai Hau,My Loc, Nam Truc, Nghi Hung, Truc Ninh, Vu Ban, Xuan Truong, Y Yen.
Population : 1,991,200 (Statistics Yearbook of 2007)
Natural resources : The province’s natural land area is 163,740.3 hectares, including 106,662 hectares of agricultural land. Its agricultural land is suitable for intensive farming especially paddy, subsidiary crops, short term industrial crops. Nam Dinh does not have many kinds of mineral but have several major ones such as brown coal in Giao Thuy, crude oil and gas in Giao Thuy them luc dia; inmenit, zircon, monazite in Hai Hau and Nghia Hung, etc. (Office of Geology – Mineral).
– Tourism resources: Nam Dinh has many cultural and historical monuments recognized by the State and large area of natural land with coastal warp good for developing tourism and research. The province’s places of interest are Tran temple – Bao Loc, Giay temple, Quat Lam and Thinh Long beaches.
– Human resources: Nam Dinh has been implementing its seven solutions to develop its human resources with systematic, proper and high quality structure. It is planned to have the rate of trained labourers to be 45%, agriculture-forestry-fishery to be 67%, industry-construction to be 21% and services to be 12%. The rate of university degree holders-professional school certificate holders-technical work is 1-3-6 respectively.
Transportation system : It is quite convenient to travel to Nam Dinh by North-South railway route or National highway No. 21 linking National highway No. 1A to the city’s center. National highway No. 10 runs from Ninh Binh town through Nam Dinh to Thai Binh, Hai Phong and Quang Ninh.
– Power supply system: Nam Dinh has 4,069 km of low voltage lines and 1,160 low voltage transformer stations. Power has been supplied to all communes of the province.
– Post-telecommunication system: Over the past years, the system has been further developed with total 68 post offices, 32,797 telephone subscribers.
– Industrial zones : Nam Dinh has 3 industrial zones which are My Trung industrial zone with the area of 150,6453 hectares in My Trung, My Loc district, An Xa industrial zone with the area of 50 hectares in Loc An and My Xa communes, Hoa Xa industrial zone with the area of 326.8 hectares in Loc Hoa and My Xa communes”